Tuesday, January 15, 2013

XTERRA Boney Mountain


The Boney Mountain 21k starts with a pavement descent, then a 500+ foot climb before dropping again. At mile six, another climb begins gradually. It gets steeper and continues to take you up the mountain for four miles. A fast two miles follows if the runner has saved enough energy to keep a high turnover bombing down towards the finish line.

This year, the temperature was cool. It rained overnight, but the trails in the Northeast section of Point Mugu State Park held up well. I ran a personal course best 2:15. Here is a comparison of the six minute difference between 2012 and 2013 on the same course. As for nutrition, I started with a bottle of Accelerade, refilled with plain water, and took one or two gels during the run.

My next race is the Carlsbad 13.1 on January 27th, but looking ahead to the Leona Divide 50 Miler, this practice for my nutrition strategy in attempt to finish in under 11 hours at LD50. My 2013 goals are ambitious: set a personal course best at every race I enter. 

As I mentioned, Carlsbad Half Marathon is next. My course best there is 1:46 and I have run one other half in 1:39.59. While my training is focused on improving climbing ability for Pine to Palm 100M in September, I run sufficient pavement miles and downhill trails to make a PR feasible. We’ll find out in less than two weeks.

I have not yet registered for LD50 which takes place at the end of April. I want to see how Carlsbad goes first. If it is sold out by the time I decide, my longest run in preparation for Pine to Palm will be pacing at a friend’s 100M race. Pine to Palm has a cutoff of 34 hours and I ran AC in 32:30 in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.