Saturday, November 10, 2012

Refocusing the Anvil Training Blog

I read a blog post recently that inspired me to add to my prior post on the Angeles Crest 100 Mile Endurance Run. www.ultrarunnerrn.blogspot.com is written by Chris Price, the 2012 AC100 winner. If you read his post, you’ll learn in the first paragraph that while working at a hospital where a new MRI machine was purchased, he took a chance opportunity for a test scan. A brain tumor was present in the images of his brain. He underwent brain surgery to remove it. Initially, the diagnosis identified a rare form of cancerous tumor that would require radiation. Fortunately, the second and tie-breaking third opinions have led to the conclusion that it was not cancer, after all. He is recovering from surgery and already planning a return to the trails.
AC100 Finish Line with Chris Price

This friend is a hero, but not for just for his running. I respect him most for working at Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles. It is a charity hospital where I spent a day every month or two throughout my childhood for a condition unrelated to diabetes. In any case, he is already proving what I said about him when I learned of his situation since winning AC100: that he is a champion on and off the trails.

I started my blog, Anvil Training, to talk about endurance sports and diabetes. My most recent post about running the Angeles Crest 100 Mile Endurance Run failed to even reference diabetes, though. Inspired by my friend’s accomplishment at winning this extreme race and now with his attitude in confronting the turbulent time since, I decided to write up a post addressing nutrition and blood sugar management.

I did a good enough job at AC this year that I was able to safely get through the whole course, but I did briefly spike to 300 milligrams of glucose per deciliter of blood a couple of times. As a diabetic, nutrition is absolutely critical for my survival in endurance sports. I select how many and what type of calories to eat in order to sustain my endurance pace for an almost indefinite time, limited only by how long I can stay awake. I stayed in excellent control most of the time, but clearly there is room for improvement. These few high readings were accompanied by my only moments of notable fatigue during the 32.5 hours that it took me to run through the San Gabriel Mountains.

I remain active in the diabetes community by participating in support groups, volunteering at charity events, online forums, and organizing monthly free run/walks. You do not need to be diabetic to participate. I invite you to come out for a run or walk at the Hermosa Valley Greenbelt in Manhattan beach on the third Sunday of each month at 9:00AM. Chances are that you know someone with diabetes that could benefit from a little exercise. Bring that person, too. 

Support Insulindependence. We will be over 100 strong at the Carlsbad Marathon in January.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing - I've had a week of training lows (as in BGs), and highs (as in a occlued pump site which had me pushing 400 last night). Frustrating as you well know, but something we know how to work through (and in endurance sports have time to think about on "the next long run"). Will see you in Carlsbad in Jan.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always grateful to have friends who not only understand the highs and lows, but have much more experience than I do. So glad to hear that you will be in Carlsbad for the Marathon Weekend. See you in January

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all you are doing, Christian. I know you have a lot to share that can help many. Cheers to some long long runs soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank YOU, Blair. Looking forward to following your progress at IMAZ this weekend. Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.