Monday, June 20, 2011

Post-ironman, now what?

Since my last post, my Triabuddy has become an official triathlete himself. At 12 years old, Ryan has already run several half marathons, been to the little league world series, and now... is a triathlete. I went down to watch him compete at Ironkidz San Diego on May 26th. He had a successful introduction to the sport and I look forward to seeing him progress as an athlete and leader in the diabetes community.

After Ironman Saint George, Councilman Danny Juarez invited me to a Hawthorne City Council meeting to speak about the ironman journey and my involvement with Insulindependence. Also, Board Member Hugo Rojas invited me to a Centinela Valley Union High School District Board Meeting to be recognized at my high school alma mater. Just a couple of years ago, I still thought completing an ironman was unattainable and really just for masochists. I have since adopted endurance sports as a lifestyle. “Racing” is a celebration of upholding a healthy, active lifestyle. Speaking at these local forums was a great opportunity to share that message and invite people in the community to participate in the free, open events that we host through Insulindependence.

On June 12th, incoming Insulindependence Captain Terry Keelan and I hosted another “Dawn Phenomenom” run/walk at the Hermosa Valley Greenbelt. Five of us walked about 6 miles on the woodchip trail. On June 18th, I ran in the Hawthorne 5k. This is my most local race and I was happy to support it as proceeds benefit the Hawthorne School District. I finished almost two minutes slower than last year, but it was a great learning experience. Instead of my usual steady pace, I started at the front and kept up with the leader for nearly a mile. This turned out to be good test of my anaerobic endurance, but the strategy led to burning out and barely jogging mile 2. I recovered enough to run the 3rd mile at a decent pace and finish strong.

Next week, I plan to drop in on the 2011 Insulindependence University in San Diego and join the next Triabetes captains' class in a group ride. They are going to represent Triabetes at Ironman Boulder 70.3 in August. I haven't ridden my bike since IMSG, so I'm excited to get out there and do something besides run. I also just received a call from a Triabetes friend, Will. A former water polo player getting into triathlons, he is considering doing a marathon swim all the way to Catalina Island. I told him about a couple of local ocean races this Summer and thanked him for motivating me to actually train for these events instead of just showing up unprepared.

I am dedicating this Summer to train for my first 50 miler in October. I recently ran an all-time high of 75 miles in a week. I am officially entered in the Bulldog 50k which will be on August 27th. In July, I will be a pacer for the last 25 miles at Angeles Crest 100. I will join my runner at Chantry Flats around midnight and run until the sun comes up. Someday, I hope to run all 100 miles at this epic race. For now, my sights are set on the October Dick Collins Firetrails 50 miler.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you signed up for the bulldog 50k, 2nd loop is nice and warm =). I'm not sure if I'm running it yet, but either way I'll probably be there cheering you on. I love running that loop. Happy training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will probably be out there for a lap this Saturday, although the forecast is looking pretty hot. Hoping for mild weather on August 27th!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.